Steele County, Minnesota, was organized in 1855 and originally included what is now known as Waseca County. Re-organization in 1856 established the boundaries we recognize today. The new county was named in honor of Franklin Steele, a St. Anthony governmental contractor and a man of prominence.
The first county building, built in 1874 at a cost of $5,000, was a one-story brick building which has since been demolished. The historic Steele County Courthouse was built in 1891 for $50,000. It has been remodeled several times and is used solely by the courts. Two courtrooms and one hearing room are available, as well as meeting rooms and office space.